What the Holy Spirt Taught Me This Morning
Pastor Amos Dada PhD; P. Eng
“For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world.”1 Jn 5:4-5,4:5
If you read the two scriptures quoted above between the lines what you will come up with is that for you to overcome is not guess work, rather it is in-built, wired into you. God built into you the power and capacity to overcome challenges and vicissitudes. There is something in you that can cause you to be unlimited.
From the first chapter of Genesis to the last chapter in revelation it is clearly stated to you that you are an overcomer. “And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.” Gen 1:28
“And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.” Rev 22:17
The question is why is our strength failing us in the day of adversity? Why do we see challenges as insurmountable? Why do we fail when God wired us for success? Why is life a ding-dong affair? How do we smile when the world expects us to weep? How do we triumph when we were penned down to fail?
What the Holy Spirit is saying this morning is that if you can stir,generate and push out what is inside of you, you will surely overcome in life. What are the simple things in you that you need to push out to overcome? Here are few suggestions for you.
1. Faith in your Creator. You did not make yourself, God made you. The same God says I live in you. If you don’t know him, invite Him in today. If you are not sure, then reconnect with him and say “Jesus show up in my life,I repent of my sins and accept you as Lord”
2. Courage. It’s the ability to do something that frightens one. Exam frightens student, we are all nervous and anxious in the examination hall, marital challenges frightens the boldest woman, ministry challenges holds ministers in the neck, there is no police man that is told to go and pursue an armed robber that is carrying gun that goes there smiling, ask the soldier going to war about that order! That is why God said to Joshua when he was taking over the leadership from Moses to take Canaan land – “be strong and courageous” Jos 1:7.Read Joshua Chapter 12, he has a list of 31 kings he conquered! Push out the courage in you to conquer king’s and territories .
3. Perseverance. It’s persistence in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success.That you are poor today does not mean you will be poor tomorrow. The rich people of today are the poor people of yesterday. The street hawkers, bus conductors, shoe makers, water fetchers of yesterday are the Governors, Presidents, Professors , General Overseers, Gynaecologists, pharmacologists of today, because they persevered. Go and ask Joseph the great grandson of Abraham how he became the Prime Minister in a foreign land, It is your turn.
4. Sow. I don’t mean go and give offering in church and go and sleep in the house expecting to overcome poverty. If that is what you have learned unlearn it. After all in our generation, the definition of illiteracy is no more inability to read or write but, to learn,unlearn and relearn. I mean go to the field and put your hands to work. Find out how Isaac got to Rehoboth in Gen 22 (where God made room for him) how many of his father’s wells were clogged and how many times he unclogged them and how long it took for the Philistines to envy him. “Then Isaac sowed in that land, and received in the same year an hundredfold: and the LORD blessed him” Gen 26:12.
That is hard work. That is what he sowed. Face your studies. Work hard on your business idea. Learn to invest in stocks mutual funds, bonds, futures and commodities. Many people come abroad with a wrong mentality, thinking making money abroad is cheap. No. Sometimes you will begin with a demeaning job. Sometimes you will need to work two, three jobs. Sometimes you will need to change your profession. That is sowing to overcome. You are wired to multitask to overcome . I was there before. I was studying for a doctorate going from Warri to Benin, I was the pastor of a church ( 1,500 membership), I was working as a a Chemical Engineer in NNPC refinery doing “ shift work.” I was a husband building my marriage, a father of five young girls. Overseeing their school work. That is sowing to overcome. Don’t misunderstand me there is a place to “sow” or donate to church and charity as advocated by George Clason in the “Richest Man in Babylon”. I also know that God has wired in you the ability to work hard physically, mentally, intellectually, spiritually to make you overcome poverty to become a giver and not a beggar . Sow your sweat!
5. Prayer. It’s an act of supplication or intercession directed towards a deity. You need divine power to overcome challenges. Yesterday I was at Etobioke General Hospital for my annual medical check up. I saw a multi-faith room. I entered there to pray. I saw on the wall information about major religions of the world, their creeds, history, beliefs. Why do people pray? forget about the religion. It is because they cannot push out the ability to overcome without the input of the maker. I read on the wall for example Shittoism, 90 % of Japanese are Shintos. So they consult their God to help them in their economic strides. 95 % of Thailand people worship Budha. The understanding is that we all need God. Don’t let anybody discourage you from praying to Jesus , we are Christians and Greater is Jesus in us who will enable us to overcome. “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;” Eph 6:18. Don’t be intimidated by people calling you a fanatic for praying the sailor in Jonah’s boat said “ let everyone call on their own God” Prayer is a major tool to overcome the challenges of life. May you pray until you are out of that struggle. Believe in Jesus and pray to him to set you free.
Conclusion.Are you sick in your body, bedridden, lying critically ill in the hospital, have you contacted coronavirus, are you currently incarcerated in one prison or the other, are you campaigning to win elections and it’s taking its toll on your energy, you are married and children are not coming, immigration challenges, your spouse walked out on you, are you depressed or being oppressed at work? thinking you cannot overcome. The Holy Spirt says I should tell you you shall overcome. The struggle will soon be over. When a woman is travailing to bring forth a child it is like death sentence, but after the baby is born it is joy everlasting. You are an overcomer!