What The Holy Spirit Taught Me This Morning
By Pastor Amos Dada PhD, P.Eng
“When Jesus saw him and knew he had been ill for a long time, he asked him, “Would you like to get well?” 7 “I can’t, sir,” the sick man said, “for I have no one to put me into the pool when the water bubbles up. Someone else always gets there ahead of me.” 8 Jesus told him, “Stand up, pick up your mat, and walk!” John 5:6-8 NLT
Wherever Jesus went two set of parties are provoked for different things. His presence elicits healing, peace, joy , deliverance for those who believe in him as Lord and saviour. The other party is always perturbed and disturbed by his actions.They hate him with passion for doing good and more so on Sabbath! They prefer humanity to suffer than get healed on Sabbath? Wait a minute is Sabbath not symbolizing rest? What could be rest than to get out of pain and misery that has held someone for over 38 years!
Today Jesus is in the house what do you need and what do you want? The Yorubas calls him- Oba to nso oloriburuku di Ilori re. ( The one that turns the ill-fortune person to the most fortunate person) The one that cares for the needs of people and his generous to give wants where he deems it fit .
Sickness, disease , bondage, captivity characterizes human endeavour, whether we like it or not . Nations that value human health and dignity spend the bulk of their annual budgeting on healthcare globally. Jesus was always concerned when it comes to health issues of any man. When he was physically present on earth many throng after him either to be fed with bread John 6 or be healed from what lack of bread and their lifestyles of sin has put in them.”As the sun went down that evening, people throughout the village brought sick family members to Jesus. No matter what their diseases were, the touch of his hand healed every one.”Lk 4:40
The story above shows the heart beat of Jesus. The man was oblivious of Jesus personality as the creator of the universe. 38 years by the pool side of Bethesda has made him a frustrated story teller . With all kinds of diseases carriers awaiting the stirring of the pool once a year the possibility of him getting healed as a lame man is next to nothing unless only lame people are there, and he becomes the best runner of the Paraplegic race. Even if he was the first to see the angel before he will get to the pool someone without leg challenge will beat him to it. I guess that is why he was there for that long and would have been there as long as he lives without healing if Jesus did not intervene. I pray Jesus will intervene in your matter today!
Another category of people there that cannot get healing like him would have been the blind. He will not see when the water stirring angel will come. Even if he was told , he will need someone to lead him to the see and if he will need to figure it out with a walking stick, someone who can see and run would be there earlier !
That is why Jesus in the house matters.Jesus by healing the man by the pool of Bethesda was saying many things . Before I get into that see Jesus approach and the man’s approach.
Jesus asked a simple question – do you want to be healed ? What should be his excited answer – Yes , by all means . After all that is what he needed for this 38 ugly, emotionally distressing and depressing, highly frustrating, obviously challenging years. But his response was that of unnecessary impossibility,story telling and blame game .
Imagine his reply – I can’t sir! No one to help me sir! Someone always gets there before me sir! Wait a minute. What was he expecting? Others to abandon why they were there and focus on him? The world is not wired like that. We are all ruled by the dictum – me first!
Before you blame the guy is that not our approach to our Christian life even when we go to church ? Is that not why you are still on that sick bed Irrespective of messages of faith , encouragement to receive your healing , and deliverance? Are you not always saying “I can’t. You don’t understand. I wanted brother so so , to help me. I opened up to sister so so , she told me she cannot. “ I am not holding up or defending those that cannot help you in church . But all the impotent folks by the pool of Bethesda were not there because of you they were there because of their own challenges , to get healed by the same way you are expecting to get well. Correspondingly people in church are not their primarily for you but for themselves just like you!Their focus is on themselves not on you. That argument no one visited me, no one supported me, will not go far. Leaving the church on that basis will make you just to be going around. In your impotent position how many have you put in the pool? If you must know that brother/ sister you are expecting to put you in the pool (help you ) may be going through more devastating issues than yourself!
This is my counsel, stop waiting for that Brother/Sister to help you, develop your own faith .Stop blaming everyone for your issues. People are tired of your story. Jesus is asking you -Do you want to be made whole? Say yes, not I can’t .Go to church with optimism, faith not fear and blame game mentality. Be like the elders of old: “They (Elder’s) came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” John 12:20-24. If Jesus was like many of us he will just walk pass you . Saying, when you are ready you know what to say and do. But because Jesus was compassionate, full of love and mercy he bypassed his answers and mannerism and said ‘take up you bed and walk.’ – Meaning Jesus healed him. I see you being healed right now. Take your healing now!
So what the Holy Spirit is teaching us today is that when Jesus is in the house a-times you don’t need faith as pastors always make a prerequisite before Jesus springs to action.Jesus cannot be limited to a format. What is important is His Presence .So what happens when Jesus is in the house , what do you expect ?When Jesus is in the house :
1. Healing is in the house
2. Salvation is in the house .
3. Freedom from all manner of lameness ,blindness, oppression, diseases ,sickness , lack , frustration, limitations, stagnation ,instability, depression is available in the house.
4. Wasted years is suddenly terminated.Hopeful years springs up.
5. Lack, poverty, begging for living is sent parking.
6. Restoration is guaranteed. Ability to do what you have never been able to do is possible .
7. You can breath a new air of joy ,peace and righteousness in the Holy Ghost .
8. A new era of fresh possibilities is released. Can you imagine what the man by the pool of Bethesda can do now? He can choose to become the legendary soccer sensation- Pele of Brazil, or Haruna Ilerika, or Mathematica Sege( Segun Odegbami) or Jay,Jay Okocha all of Nigeria soccer fame. Or Usain Bolt- one hundred meters race !
9. You are no more a lability but an asset. No more frustration of nobody to help before he can go to work and make some money. He is no more tied down to one spot not knowing what future brings. Bright future is guaranteed.
10. You don’t only give testimony , you become the testimony . You go from Mr. Forgotten to Mr. Celebrity. You are the new sensation of what Jesus can do.
11. Power to reproduce is released. Maybe he was not able to “know a woman” as Adam “knew” his wife. Sudden he can now father a child . You have used your challenges as an excuse for failure to win souls or reproduce new souls . With Jesus in your life you can give birth to another new believer .
12. You are at Liberty to do as the Spirt demands . 2 Cor 3:17
13. Conclusion: My prayer is that Jesus will walk to your side today and take note of your situation and bypass all protocols and give you a fresh start.