What The Holy Spirit Taught Me This Morning
Pastor Amos Dada PhD; P.Eng
“But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs. 27 ¶ And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table” Matt 15:26-27
There is an adage in Yoruba- “oni suru nii nfun omu kinihun” roughly translated: Only the patient can suck the milk of a lion. My late father in-law was a lawyer. One of the interesting pictures in his office that always attracted my attention was that of a cow, two people appear to be struggling to take it, one holding the horn another the tail. In the middle the lawyer sat conveniently and was milking the cow! If I was to give caption to that picture I will say “While fools fight the wise suck the milk” What will be your own caption?
The Holy Spirit will want you to go beyond finding a caption for a picture to learning critical lessons from real life situations. Are you living your life fighting everyone for everything at every place? Are you that person that cannot take nonsense from anybody? Will you rather be in want or even die than apologize? Are you always swearing “ over my dead body will I do this or that?” Or are you using wisdom to tap into endless blessings of life? The truth is you must be prepared to descend from your high horse to access life’s milk.
The story of the Syrophoenician woman is a classic display of wisdom, humility, wits, candor in milking the cow of life. Do you have these?
Many times we read scriptures, teach about them and rarely apply them to our lives. I always say the characters in the bible are long gone, they are either in heaven or hell, the narratives and stories are written for us to be able to make the best of our situations on earth, maximize our profitability and guide us on the path of eternity with Jesus.
The story of Jesus and this woman among other things teaches us to expect insults, challenges, discouragements, abuses, discomforts in unexpected places with people in high and low places. Expect the unexpected from Pastors, leaders, spouses, bosses, church members, market places, colleagues, subordinates, friends, relations,the list is endless. Nevertheless be focused on the milk you are about to suck. Many of us major in minors and minor in majors. We easily lose focus, get irritated and abandon our goals and close the door to our milk. We lose sight that the issue is not about the other person but about us in need of milk for ourselves or our children.
On the human side we are easily irritated and offended. On the spiritual side we are oblivious that Satan is there hiding somewhere to ensure we do not enjoy the Garden of Eden. We forget that according to Paul: “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places” Eph 6:12. Satan will want you to fight anybody that can help you including your divine helper.
Jesus always goes about doing good but you have to be strategic to access heavenly and earthly milk resources. Two- thirds of the world cannot stomach Jesus including the Jews. That is why “He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name” Jn 1:10-12
These are some ways the Holy Spirit will like to help you access the milk of life.
1. Travel from wherever you are physically and spirituality to locate the source of the milk. She sought for Jesus. Seek for your divine helper.
2. Ignore traditional, tribal, racial, geographical, barriers that can prevent you from accessing the milk. Go past Jew and Samaritan/Gentile dichotomy or mental blockade.
3. Remember how desperate you need the milk – Her daughter must not die.
4. See beyond the initial challenges. Whoever will suck the honey in the rock will ignore looking at the edge of the axe.
5. Humble yourself! Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Proverbs 16:18.
6. Ignore the noise in the marketplace. The disciples said “drive away this woman” Many fail to access the milk of life because of what people will say, have said and could say. How is that your problem? How does that “heal your daughter”?
7. Release commensurate faith. Don’t just say you have faith. If you have not gotten what you desire you need higher faith which is within you. Jesus said “O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.” You need the faith that produces results. Faith to pass that exam. Faith to get pregnant. Faith to get that contract. Faith to receive your healing or for others, faith to grow that business, ministry, train those children . Faith to scale that huddle and have that breakthrough. Faith to access the milk of life.
Conclusion: The milk of life is with the author of life. The one that said I am the Way The Truth and The life. The Syrophoenician woman found him and got a bucketful kid milk albeit with-one philosophy: where the determination is the way can be found or simply said when there is a will there is a way. May the good Lord teach you the way to milk the cow of life. May you you be teachable in the school of life where the classroom is everywhere and teachers could be erratic and unpredictable.